OverviewChild & Family Studies Foundation Degree (FdA) (Full time)
This course covers the theory and practical skills needed to work with children, young people and families. It has various different career progression routes in the fields of childcare and education, social work, family support and other similar career paths. It has just been updated to reflect current sector practice.
- Small class sizes offer a great deal of individualised support
- One day a week attendance in college allows them to work at the same time
- Placement can be voluntary or paid employment
- Various different career paths to follow
- Dual support from college and UOB services
- Direct progression to the Top-up
- Level 3 Qualification
- English GCSE at grade C/grade 4 or above OR Level 2 equivalent. (Though can be taken alongside the FD if they have relevant experience)
- Maths GCSE at grade C/grade 4 or above OR Level 2 equivalent is desirable.
- Introduction to Working with Children, Young People and Families in Practice (work-integrated learning activity)
- Introduction to Academic study and Work-Based Learning (work-based learning activity)
- Narratives of Childhood and Youth
- Law, Society and Controversy
- Researching Child and Family Practice (work-based project)
- Perceptions and Discourses of Childhood
- Working Together: Inter-agency approaches to Child Welfare assessment and intervention
- Management and Applied Experience within a Work-Based Learning Environment (Work-integrated activity)
You will gain:
Foundation Degree in Child and Family Studies – University of Bedfordshire.
A wide variety of study methods are used throughout the course and emphasis is on student centred inclusive learning. Teaching methods will include lectures, discussion, seminars, role play, group work, guided study, and experiential classes. You will also be required to work independently using both College and University learning resources.
All units are assessed by a variety of methods, e.g. Written assignments, oral presentations, timed examinations and reflective logs. Students are expected to develop the skills of reflective practice and the writing of a reflective journal, and commitment to personal and professional development is a requirement of this Foundation Degree.
- Top-up in Child and Adolescent Studies
- Various Career options in Care, Childcare, Education, Youth Work and Family Support
Students to secure their own relevant placement in care, childcare or family work, support through the college is available if needed.
Trips vary from year to year but have included in the past trips to Parliament, the courts and the Freud museum – there are also a number of guest speakers that work in the sector.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.