OverviewArt & Design Foundation Diploma (Pre-Degree) Advanced (Level 3)
The Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, awarded by UAL (University of the Arts London) offers experience of art and design subjects, preparing you for work or higher education. The course is specifically designed to challenge higher-level learners, particularly students with a vocational Level 3 or A-Level profile
This course will enable you to explore and experiment with a wide range of concepts, ideas and materials, in addition to giving you the opportunity to focus on your chosen specialist area and build up your portfolio of work. The long-established reputation of this course has given the College an enviable reputation for developing individuality and creativity, helping students to gain places at prestigious art and design schools, colleges and universities across the country. This course will enable you to demonstrate a full understanding of the application of art and design in a way that is relevant to both academic progression opportunities and future career choices.
The aims of this qualification are to enable students to:
- Demonstrate awareness of the different perspectives, approaches and ethics within diverse creative practice.
- Research, analyse and evaluate relevant information as part of creative practice.
- Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate practical methods and skills for creative practice and production.
- Explore solutions to complex problems through the application of practical, theoretical and technical understanding.
- Use critically evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for own learning, development and decision making.
- Take responsibility for research, planning and time management, to access and action progression opportunities.
- Effectively communicate and present ideas and creative practice to appropriate audiences.
The qualification contains the following units:
- Unit 1 Diagnostic Investigation into Creative Practice: In this unit, students will undertake a diagnostic investigation into visual language and creative practices. This exploratory investigation allows students to become familiar with, and experiment within, a wide range of (art, design and media) creative disciplines as part of their journey to, or reinforcement of, specialism in Unit 2 or Unit 3.
- Unit 2 Developing Specialist Practice: This unit will provide students with the opportunity to reflect on the knowledge, skills and practices they have developed in Unit 1 of the qualification. Students should define their creative ambitions by encouraging a holistic approach to a range of activities, which will support, contextualise and position their creative endeavour within their chosen specialist practice.
- Unit 4 Consolidating Practice: This unit aims to provide students with an opportunity to take control of their own learning, and demonstrate their achievement by independently initiating, researching, completing and evaluating a project proposal in realisation of their chosen professional context.
To start the course you will need:
- A minimum of one A-Level in a design related subject.
- Entry is subject to a successful interview where you will be asked to display a portfolio of your existing work.
A range of teaching methods are used, including lectures, visits, field courses and studio-based teaching. You will be assessed throughout the course, with assessment feedback at each stage of the programme and at the final stage grade.
Art and Design BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma
Up to 84 UCAS Points available.
On successful completion you could progress on to one of our higher education courses in a range of art and design disciplines or go on to an art and design related degree at university.
You will be able to participate in field trips and visits to museums and exhibitions in this country and abroad (for an additional cost), and you will have the opportunity to showcase your work to the public at the College’s end of year Art Exhibition. We are also fortunate enough to have renowned artists coming into the College to give talks.
If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, there are additional costs associated with some courses. For example, you may be required to purchase specialist uniforms, equipment or books. There is also an additional cost of £50 to cover a minimum of 2 trips to relevant exhibitions e.g. Tate, V&A.
Recent trips include visits to Berlin and Amsterdam
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at: www.bedfordcollegegroup.co.uk/finance or view the Full-time Fee Flow Chart below.
If you are unsure whether you need to pay or not then please contact our Customer Contact team on 0345 658 8990.Full-time Fee Flow Chart
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.Find out more
If you live in any of the following areas and wish to apply for or enrol onto one of our courses, please contact our Customer Contact team on 0345 658 8990 to check if your course is funded or not (Please note that if your course is not funded then you will pay a higher fee than what is listed, please contact our Customer Contact team for more information):
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Greater Manchester
- Greater London
- Liverpool City Region
- Tees Valley
- West of England
- West Midlands
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Barnsley and Doncaster
- West Yorkshire
|Bedford College|| |
|Apply now|| |
|Tresham College Kettering Campus|| |
|Apply now|| |
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 to order your copy.