OverviewAnimal Science BSc (top-up from FdSc) (full-time)
This BSc (Hons) in Animal Science is validated by the University of Bedfordshire, with all study taking place at Shuttleworth College, taking advantage of our animal management facilities.
To apply to this course visit the UCAS website here.
|Shuttleworth College|| |
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
This is a one-year full-time route to an Animal Science honours degree. It is aimed at those who already possess a Foundation Degree, HND or equivalent in Animal Management or a related area.
Elements of the course include:
- Managing animal collections
- Scientific theory of animals
- Interaction of animals and environment
- Animal physiology and disease
The course can lead to careers in animal care, conservation and scientific research into animal health and nutrition. Shuttleworth College has excellent animal management facilities and animal collections, as well as contacts with local zoos and safari parks, which provide a great opportunity for practical research.
Why choose this course?
- The course offers a scientific approach to the management of animals. It fosters the use of scientific inquiry and business principles to solve problems faced in a vocational context.
- Practical use of animal and laboratory resources will be integral to the delivery of learning, with study trips to external agents providing enhanced learning opportunities.
- You will have access to the animal collection at Shuttleworth College giving them hands on experience with an impressive collection of a diverse range of companion, farm, exotic and equestrian animals.
- The course is delivered by using various learning methods including formal lectures, practical laboratory sessions and IT laboratory sessions combined with a number of opportunities for supported independent-study.
- A number of guest speakers are used throughout the course to deliver lectures and seminars to the learners. These speakers will be academics or industry professionals who are current practitioners or leading researchers, to ensure the course content is rooted in today’s best practice and science.
- The mixture of applied science, practical management and business content uniquely places you in the advantageous position of working hands on with animals in both technical and management roles. The wide range of related subjects covered gives you a broad base from which to find appropriate careers.
- Module delivery is sensitive to the legal and ethical context of the animal industry. Therefore the course provides an understanding of the understanding of these complex issues.
This course is taught by the University of Bedfordshire, but some of your study will take place at Shuttleworth College. You will need to purchase overalls and steel toe capped boots. These can be purchased through Bedford College at an approximate cost of £45. There are also optional educational trips available, which could occur a cost of up to £900.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.