OverviewAdv App - Early Years Educator (Standard)
Early Years Educators, and other job roles such as nursery nurse and childminders, are highly trained professionals who play a key role in ensuring that young children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. They work in a range of settings including full day care, children’s centres, pre schools, reception classes and as childminders. They may either be working on their own or supervising others to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) requirements set by Government for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You will need Level 2 English and Mathematics qualification (or equivalent) or a willingness to undertake it.
The Early years Educator will be able to:
- Plans and supervises child initiated and adult led activities which are based around the needs and interests of each individual child
- Supports children to develop numeracy and language skills through games and play
- Has key person responsibility to help ensure each child feels safe and secure
- Observes each child and shapes their learning experience to reflect their observations
- Meets the care needs of the individual child such as feeding, changing nappies and administration of medicine
- Works in partnership with other colleagues, parents and/or carers or other professionals to meet the individual needs of each child
With additional experience, an Early Years Educator can become the manager of an early years setting
Individuals will undergo all the checks as per the EYFS requirements to ensure suitability to work with children.
You will be assessed through building your own portfolio of evidence which will include observations, reflective accounts, professional discussion, Q&A, Recognition of Prior Learning (recognising with your employer what skills you have learnt in the workplace), a research project and other methods, all of which will be completed online using the College’s Virtual Learning Environment.
End Point assessment
- Knowledge Test
- Professional Discussion (underpinned with Portfolio).
You will gain the following qualifications:
- Apprentices must successfully complete a Level 3 Early Years Educator qualification.
- Apprentices without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to taking their end point assessment.
- Apprentices must successfully complete the Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid. (RQF) or Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid.
An apprentice who has completed the Early Years Educator Apprenticeship Standard, has the ability to move into a multitude of career pathways afterwards. These include studying higher education in Early Years, Youthwork and Playwork to options in specialists roles like Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), Safeguarding and Physical Activity and Nutrition Coordinator (PANCO).
If you are over 19, your attendance in College will be subject to a functional skills assessment.
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0345 658 8990.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.