OverviewVehicle Systems Maintenance City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate
If you love cars and mechanics and would love to pursue a career in the Motor Vehicle industry, here you can learn in our state-of-the-art garage working on real cars. You’ll gain the technical skills and experience you need to succeed in a fast-growing industry as a motor mechanic.
Need to know
4 x GCSEs including a good standard of maths and English. A commitment to learning and a keen interest in Vehicle Maintenance. If you do not meet these entry requirements please ask about our Way Into Study Programmes.
In order to pass this course you will need to pass required exams and assessments.
Your Tutor will be on hand to support you throughout your course to develop your skills, prepare you for your next steps and help you to achieve your goals.
The course is taught over 2 years and is designed to engage & motivate learners who are interested in learning about the automotive retail industry. The qualification is a pathway to the second year Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance.
We have high professional standards and expectations of our learners and expect excellent attendance, punctuality and the wearing of PPE to ensure you thrive on your course!
This course includes online exams and ongoing practical assessments. Lessons can consist of lectures, discussions, independent research, online tests and individual and group practical tasks.
This course prepares you with skills and knowledge in a variety of topics that will prepare you for the next level of education or a job in the Automotive field. You will need to be prepared to attend 2 college days per week.
Areas of study could include:
- Braking Systems
- Transmission & Clutch Systems
- Engine Cooling Systems
- Fuel & Exhaust Systems
- Spark Ignition Systems
- Electrical Systems
- Braking Systems
- Transmission Systems
- Steering & Suspension Systems
- Wheel & Tyre Systems
Your Study Programme includes valuable additions to help you succeed!
- Personal Professional Development sessions (PPD) will teach you valuable skills that employers are looking for including communication, time management and life skills that you can take with you anywhere you go!
- You will have a regular 1:1 appointment with highly qualified and experienced professionals who will help you to manage your workload, give you valuable feedback and ensure that you meet College expectations.
- English & Maths: You may not be sure whether these subjects are relevant to you, but good English and Maths skills will be vital to any career path and we’re here to support you in developing yours.
- Work Experience is crucial to preparing you for your next steps and here you will have access to a wide range of employers to make sure you gain plenty of workplace experience.
- Careers Advice & Guidance is available throughout your time at CBC from our friendly, dedicated Advisors. They can provide you with a wide range of support including CV writing, UCAS applications, interview skills and much more.
Further study and career options
Upon completing your course, you have a great range of options available to help you continue your adventure.
You can progress onto Level 3 Diploma in vehicle maintenance. Alternatively you could seek employment in the Automotive industry as a Tyre Technician, Fast Fit Technician, Light Vehicle Service Technician or Advanced Apprentice.
Coming to College is a full time commitment and you will need to ensure that you have factored in the cost of travelling to College and potentially to a local work placement. If you are concerned about this, please click here to see what financial support is available through our Student Services team.
Overalls/work trousers and work top, steel toe capped work boots, pens, notepad and lever arch file are essential purchases. We may request contributions are made to trips and outings
Your course will be taught at the Motor Vehicle Luton Road Campus but may be required to travel to our main campus in Kingsway, Dunstable for exams and other lessons.
|Cbc Dunstable Luton Road||
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0345 658 8990.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.