OverviewTherapeutic Counselling CPCAB Level 4 Diploma
Validated by the CPCAB (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body), this course is aimed at those who are interested in developing their skills to advance to counselling practitioner level, or as a pathway to the CPCAB’s Psychotherapeutic Counselling Level 5 Diploma. The L4 course covers a range of units designed to help candidates further their training as a professional counsellor and work with clients in a therapeutic relationship.
Please note: This course is 2 years classroom-based learning plus an optional further year to complete placement hours if necessary.
Need to know
NOTE: You will only be accepted on the course by an essential interview with a member(s) of the Counselling Team. You must also bring a copy of all certificates (from other training organisations and colleges) to the interview.
Bedford College Counselling Courses:
We plan to begin our interviews in May 2023, and if you are interested in receiving more information or an interview pack contact email@example.com who serves as H.E. Administrator.
You need to hold:
Both CPCAB L2 Counselling Skills and L3 Counselling Studies Intermediate Certificates,
Counselling equivalent Level 2 & Level 3 qualifications (a minimum study requirement of 180 guided learning hours, including theory and skills).
You will also need to provide evidence that you are committed to working safely and ethically within a counselling setting, submitting an essay of approximately 500 words with your application outlining your previous professional and personal development. You will be required to attend a group interview to assess your suitability for this course, and you will be invited to participate in a comprehensive skills session to assess your ability to engage and demonstrate safe counselling practice.
Progressing to Year Two will be subject to you successfully completing all assignment work in Year One, starting a work placement, as well as a tutor assessment of your readiness for client work.
What qualification will I gain?
CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
How will I be assessed?
Continuous assessment will comprise portfolio production, essays, case studies, seminars, presentations, personal journal, audio/video tape assessment. This will also involve self, peer and tutor assessment.
You will need to complete all of your first year assessments during the first year to progress on to the second year of this course (CPCAB permit one gap year). During the second term of Year 2 you will be required to pass an external assessment, which is a Case Study based on your client work. You will also be required to complete a Candidate Learning Record evidencing your development over two years. You will also undertake a work placement within an appropriate counselling agency.
What will I study?
You will be expected to:
- Work ethically, Safely and professionally as a counsellor
- Work within a Counselling Relationship
- Work with Client Diversity in counselling work
- Work within a User-Centered to counselling
- Work with Self-Awareness in the Counselling Process
- Work within a coherent framework of counselling theory and skills.
- Working self-reflectively as a counsellor
Successful completion of the L4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling will demonstrate that you have demonstrated the capability to work safely and ethically within an agency setting.
- The training is in the Person-Centered therapeutic model.
- You will be expected to maintain an overall attendance rate above 92%. When booking a holiday, consider the attendance requirement, and make sure that it doesn’t extend longer than one session.
- Dual relationships, such as close relationships and family members are not permitted.
- This qualification is not suitable for those who are currently in a state of significant emotional difficulty or confusion as it will involve personal disclosure associated with personal developmental activities.
CPCAB Guidance on Candidate entry requirements for L4 Diploma
- Identify reasons for training beyond just personal development
- Provide references
- Academically & emotionally able to cope with this level of training
- Ability to work with difference and diversity
- Possess personal qualities, imagination, intuition, openness and ability to benefit from self-development
- Ability to form a therapeutic relationship
- Self-awareness, insight, honesty and the ability to make links
- Emotional stability and the absence of personality disturbance
- Ability to challenge and be challenged
- Ability to respond sensitively and empathically to others
- Capability to begin working with clients within an agency setting
- Are intending (and actively seeking) to begin work with clients during year 1 of the programme
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Tresham College Wellingborough campus||
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, email email@example.com or call us on 0345 658 8990.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.