OverviewPractical Horticulture RHS Level 3 Certificate
Those involved in the field of Garden and Landscape management have to be able to apply the principles of horticultural science, seek out best practice, select techniques which are cost effective, embrace sustainability, ensure biosecurity and comply with current legislation as they develop the gardens and landscapes under their care.
These horticulturalists have to apply the skills developed within the Level 2 qualification but embrace the concepts of Garden Management Plans, Maintenance Schedules and Garden Health Plans to enable them to manage the many different aspects which make up gardens.
This part time qualification is aimed at professional Horticulturalists giving the learner practical skills in order to complete a professional practical project.
Ready to apply?Apply Now
Need to know
Essential: A knowledge of Practical horticulture in order to take the course onto a professional level.
Desirable: knowledge of laws relating to horticulture including Health and Safety
What qualification will I gain?
RHS Level 3 Certificate in Practical Horticulture.
How will I be assessed?
There is end point practical tests with an RHS examiner and on line tests to cover the theory knowledge you have to acquire in the 8 units you are covering as part of the course.
What will I study?
You will study:
- Plant knowledge (propagation, sourcing, specifications, identification.)
- Creating Planted areas (Site preparation, planting schemes, planting process, post- planting maintenance)
- Maintaining Planted Areas (Maintenance Plans, best practice when doing maintenance, Evaluation techniques)
- Plant Health (Biosecurity, biotic and abiotic impacts, Integrated Pest Managements, Garden Health Plans.)
- Productive Growing (Maintenance, top fruit, soft fruit and herbs)
- Protected Growing (Siting, design and maintenance of protected structures, Internal structure and equipment, production of crops, management of plant collections)
- Ecological and sustainable plantings –(Purpose of ecological and sustainable plantings, species selection, establishment of ecological and sustainable plantings, maintenance of ecological and sustainable plantings)
- Landscape materials ((inspection of existing hard landscaping features, Maintenance plans and schedules for landscaping materials and features, selection and calculation of materials)
RHS – Level 4 Master of Horticulture – (Run at Wisley gardens)
- Running your own horticultural business
- Garden maintenance, public gardens and Landscaping, Plant grower – all at a supervisory level when you have received experience.
You will need:
- Steel toed capped boots will be required for practical work
- A calculator
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
The College offers an instalment plan for Further Education and Higher Education courses to students where the total amount payable at the point of enrolment is £200 or more. Within the scheme there is an ability to pay up to 6 instalments, depending on the length of the courses and the final payment must be paid at least a month before the end of the course.Part-time Fee Flow Chart
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Alternatively, you can pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.Find out more
If you live in any of the following areas and wish to apply for or enrol on one of our courses, please contact our Customer Contact team on 0345 658 8990 to check if your course is funded or not (Please note that if your course is not funded then you will pay a higher fee than what is listed, please contact our Customer Contact team for more information):
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Greater Manchester
- Greater London
- Liverpool City Region
- Tees Valley
- West of England
- West Midlands
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, email email@example.com or call us on 0345 658 8990.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.