OverviewFashion & Textiles HNC (Full time)
This is a full-time creative qualification designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills required for a successful career within the exciting and ever-widening fashion and textile industry. The new curriculum is designed to develop and establish your fashion and textile design skills, which will enable you to enter a broad choice of career options. The course content will include draping, pattern cutting, manufacturing, production, embellishment, print, CAD and mixed media. To ensure you have the relevant skills to enable you to advance and flourish in your chosen career, the course will also cover styling, illustration, marketing and promotion, and professional practice.
During the course, you will be encouraged to develop a highly individual, ideas-based portfolio which can be used for interview and as a promotional tool to support freelance work. You will engage with fashion and textile designers and businesses from a variety of specialisms and backgrounds. All tutors on the course are practising designers, providing you with up to date and current industry knowledge. You will also work towards creating finished garments for a fashion show and as part of an exhibition of student work at the end of each year. Work experience opportunities are also made available to you in the latter stages of the course. A list of visiting contacts and speakers is available on request.
You will need:
- 32-48 UCAS points with some art, design and media element OR
- Art & Design BTEC Level 3 Diploma OR
- Art & Design Foundation Diploma (Pre-Degree) OR
- Equivalent Level 3 qualification
- T Level pass in an appropriate subject area
Entry is subject to a successful interview, where you will be asked to bring along a portfolio of your existing work. Applicants from A-Level courses displaying high levels of creativity will also be considered. We welcome applications from mature students who will be considered individually on experience rather than qualifications.
This course is best suited to candidates who can provide evidence of their ability and/or potential to:
- Work imaginatively in fashion and textiles
- Generate and develop creative ideas in response to a wide range of briefs
- Articulate and communicate creative intentions clearly
- Show a willingness to collaborate and discuss work in group situations
- Reflect critically on activities and learning, and demonstrate intellectual enquiry
- Embrace new ways of thinking and exploit digital technologies.
During this course you will study the following core compulsory units:
- Visual communication
- Ideas generation
- Contextual and cultural referencing
- Professional practice.
In addition, you will study four specialist units from the following selection:
- Techniques and processes in textiles
- Fashion and textiles materials
- Pattern construction in fashion
- Design application in fashion
- Design application in textiles.
You will also be taught how to use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator in the second term.
You will work with a range of specialist lecturers, including practising designers, in well-equipped studios and workshops. Project briefs are set for each assignment, and you are encouraged to develop a personal response to each task. All activities are supported through one-to-one tutorials and group discussions to inform you of personal progress and to aid assessment. Assessment is continuous throughout the course, with assignments graded at the end of each task.
On successful completion of the HND, you will have the option to top up the qualification to a full Bachelor’s degree at university or enter employment. Roles in the industry include fashion/textile buyer, costume designer, dressmaker, fashion designer, freelance designer/maker, production manager, sales manager, textile designer, or wardrobe supervisor.
- Provision of basic fashion and textiles equipment such as sketchbooks, drawing equipment, hand sewing needles, quality scissors and any additional consumable materials such as fabrics and specialist threads, demanded by personal project requirements.
- Resource fee of £150 to cover: printing binders, specialist procion dyes, specialist printing pigments, screen emulsion and A1 cartridge paper.
- Train fares for visits by train to London (normally up to two a year).
- A digital camera and portable external hard drive/USB stick would be advantageous but are not essential.
Please note: You will be required to attend college 2 days per week (days to be confirmed)
|Tresham College Kettering Campus||
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.