Skip to main content

Additional Learning Support for Higher Education

Higher Education Computing students Bedford College

Support provided by Bedford College directly for those students with an identified Learning Difficulty and/or Disability

Additional Learning Support for those students studying their Higher Education through The Bedford College Group is provided through Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) which is administered through Student Finance England.

If you require support when completing a Higher Education course you will need to apply directly to Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) before the start of your course to ensure you have this in place for when you start. For information regarding how to apply please see below or contact the Additional Support Department (details at the bottom of this document) directly who will be able to provide support and if needed a list of specialist assessors. Additionally, advice can be given in completing the application form if required.

Once we have received your DSA report the Additional Support department will contact you directly for an appointment to create an individual support plan. This plan will be shared with the appropriate tutors to enable them to support you in your studies.

Should reports include face to face interactions with externally assigned staff through DSA the ALS team will liaise with you and them to arrange for this to happen in a safe manner.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you live in England and have a disability that affects your ability to study, such as a:

  • specific learning difficulty, for example dyslexia or ADHD
  • mental health condition, for example anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, for example if you have to use crutches, a wheelchair or a special keyboard
  • sensory disability, for example if you’re visually impaired, deaf or have a hearing impairment
  • long-term health condition, for example cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

You must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year
Applying for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Application for DSA is via an online portal. The link below takes you to the website which provides full details of DSA and the link to the application form.

Applications for DSA do require you to provide supporting documentation from an appropriately qualified professional supporting your disability. It is to be noted that for those students with a Specific Learning Difficulty an assessment undertaken by an appropriate professional at any age is accepted.

Following submission of your DSA application you will be invited to attend a local assessment centre to discuss your identified needs.

University of Northampton

To find our more or book a dyslexia screening, please send an email to including your name and contact details.

Contact Details

Additional Learning Support at The Bedford College Group can be contacted:


Phone: 01234 291905

University of Bedfordshire

University of Northampton