Tresham College student Jay McPhie, aged 18, has been enjoying a work experience opportunity at the highest level – with a Government Minister.
Jay, who is close to competing his second year in media production, contacted his local MP for Corby, Tom Pursglove, and was rewarded with a week in Westminster. Tom is now the Minister of State for Disabled People, Health and Work – so it was an enlightening opportunity for Jay to get an insight into the corridors of power.
Millie Loader, who is lead lecturer for Media Studies at Tresham College’s Corby campus said:
“This showed great initiative by Jay and resulted in a fantastic opportunity which will look great on his CV.”
Media studies is a creative course during which students learn valuable modern skills of editing film footage which can lead to careers in the movies, television or multiple social media and on-line arenas.
Jay’s work experience schedule included:
- Watching the House of Commons in action with Tom Pursglove asking a question from the floor
- the Justice Committee
- a Defence Committee
- an EU Farming Regulations Committee
- an International Women’s Day event
- Joining the Minister at The Cube in Corby for a BBC Sunday politics interview
- Meeting with a Government’s Affairs Co-ordinator from re a major phone provider