Skip to main content

Ged to the rescue

Shuttleworth College

A student from Shuttleworth College has been praised for stepping up to provide First Aid when a huge fire broke out in an old building at a hospital site in Kimbolton Road, Bedford.

Gerald Hargreave Mawson, who is a St John Ambulance Cadet saw the fire from his home and rushed to put his training into action standing alongside scores of firefighters and other emergency response staff.

Ged to the rescue PR Story

The blaze on January 3rd continued for hours with “Ged” receiving praise from the St John Ambulance organisation for showing initiative by getting involved:

Prior to the arrival of the East of England Ambulance Service, Ged was able to offer cover if first aid had been needed,” said an official letter and: “the dedication and support that he showed in supporting the emergency services went above and beyond what was expected of him.”

Ged is a first year Level 3 Outdoor Advanced Extended Diploma student at the Shuttleworth College in Old Warden, Biggleswade where he is learning coaching and leadership skills which he hopes will stand him in good stead for a job in First Aid training and instructing outdoor activities in a few years’ time.

I love it here at Shuttleworth and was glad to be of service at the emergency incident,” said Ged, aged 16, who is also a former student of Bedford School.

Staff at Shuttleworth College are extremely proud of his efforts and have commended his quick thinking attitude to offer his first aid skills where they may have been needed.

What else is going on?

The latest from The Bedford College Group

View more