We are very excited to be launching our own T Levels in Construction, Digital, Education, Healthcare and Science.
From September 2021, a new way of learning is coming to Bedford College.
T Levels are two-year courses in England that can be studied by 16-18 year olds after finishing their GCSEs.
T Levels are a new, two-year qualification that you can choose to do as an alternative to A- Levels, an apprenticeship or other post 16 courses. This brand-new qualification brings you a course that entails a mix of classroom learning and an extended industry placement.
What’s more, the courses on offer have been designed in collaboration with businesses and employers to ensure you gain all the skills and knowledge you need for a career in your chosen field.
When studying a T Level qualification, you will spend 80% of your time in the classroom and 20% on a high quality placement with an employer. A mix of classroom learning and ‘on-the- job’ experience will help you gain all the skills and knowledge companies look for when recruiting.
It takes two years of full-time study to complete a T Level and the qualification will be equivalent to three A-Levels.
What is the structure of a T Level?
All T Level courses will include the following compulsory elements:
- A technical qualification which will include: core theory, concepts and skills for an industry area
- Specialist knowledge and skills for an occupation or career
- An industry placement with an employer
- A minimum standard in English & maths if they have not been achieved already
What can I do next after gaining a T Level qualification?
After gaining a T Level qualification, you could move on to:
- Skilled employment
- A higher apprenticeship
- Higher education
Why choose T Levels?
Here are five reasons why you should choose to study a T Level course.
All T Levels have been designed in collaboration with leading businesses and employers to allow students to meet the needs of the industry and get a head start after College.
When studying a T Level, you will learn what a real career is like in your chosen field through an industry placement.
When you pass your T Level, you will gain a nationally recognised certificate that shows the overall grade you achieved. Details of what you learned on the course will be included so that you can move into skilled employment or a higher apprenticeship.
If you wish to move on to higher education, UCAS points will be awarded to T levels and will be recognised by universities and other education providers.
T Levels offer more classroom time as well as experience within an industry; this is what makes it different to an apprenticeship. In the classroom, you’ll learn all the skills that employers look for and during your industry placement, you’ll put these skills into action.
I’m an employer and I’d like to offer industry placements, can I get involved?
Absolutely! T Levels include a 45-day industry placement at the heart of every course which will be with an external employer to help students develop technical skills and become more employable. Industry placements are not only beneficial for students but also for employers as you’ll have early access to the new talent in your market.
If you are interested in finding out more about T Levels then contact our Business Development team on 01234 291747 or email email@example.com
What are the other benefits of industry placements for my business?
- Industry placements are great for entry-level skills and can help you build talent for junior positions or apprenticeships
- Work alongside the next generation of talent in your industry
- Cost-effective for recruitment
- Young people are an invaluable source of new ideas and can provide a fresh perspective
- Staff usually have multiple projects and deadlines to meet and an industry placement student can provide extra support with key projects
- Creates opportunities for staff to undertake and gain experience in coaching, mentoring or management
- Industry placements can improve diversity and this can help your business understand customers better, increases creativity and creates better performance
- They create ‘shared value’ as you will be giving back to young people in your community as well as your business
- Offering industry placements can help you enhance your brand image and profile