OverviewPhotography BTEC HND (Part-time)
This one year HND programme is a follow on from the HNC in photography and will enable you to develop visual communication skills and how to apply them within your own practice. You will use industry-standard cameras, lenses and lighting, equipment and editing software. You will also be encouraged to engage in the contemporary debate about political, social and economic factors which influence contemporary photography. You will have the opportunity to take part in national competitions and the course is affiliated with the British Institute of Professional Photographers. Guest lectures are a regular feature of this course and bring valuable industry experience to our students. You will also have the opportunity to visit galleries in major European cities such as Berlin and Amsterdam.
To begin this course you will need a:
- Photography BTEC HNC, OR
- Foundation Diploma Art and Design or UAL Level 3 Photography
Mature students will be considered individually on relevant professional experience rather than qualifications. Entry will also be subject to a successful interview, where you will be asked to present a portfolio of your creative work, including developmental worksheets or sketchbooks.
You will study core units and specialist units. Students may negotiate an aspect of their specialist unit study with their tutors, though suggesting which units benefit their career intentions.
All mandatory core units:
- Visual Communication in Art and Design
- Ideas Generation and Development in Art and Design
- Contextual and Cultural Referencing in Art and Design
- Professional Practice in Art and Design
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation.
A minimum of 60 credits from Specialist units Group A (the majority of units are 15 credits each):
- Communication with Images in Art and Design
- Art, Design and Media Practice within the Digital Environment
- 2D, 3D and Time-based Digital Applications
- Digital Media in Art and Design
- Lens-based Recording Techniques in Art and Design
- Studio Practice in Photography
- Darkroom Practice in Photography
- Visual Language in Photography
- Advertising Photography
- Reprographic Processes in Photography
- Photographic Techniques
- Digital Image Creation and Development
- Location Photography
- Fashion Photography
- Press Photography and Photo Journalism
- Specialist Practice in Photography
- Photographic Materials, Techniques and Technology
- Management of Art Exhibitions
- Time-based Artwork.
Specialist units Group B (no minimum credit):
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Critical Study in Art and Design
- Professional Studies in Art and Design
- Ideas in Context
- Research Project
- Personal and Professional Development
- Managing a Creative Business
- Business Practice in Art and Design
- Work-based Experience
- Employability Skills
- References and Sources in Art and Design
- Commissioned Fine Art Work
- Drawing Techniques and Processes in Art and Design.
Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Art and Design (Photography)
On successful completion of the HND, you will have the option to top up the qualification to a full Bachelor’s degree at university or enter employment.
- Resource fee of £150 to cover printing costs, photography trips/visits, your end of year final major project and entry fee for competitions
You will need to study six hours per week, currently, Thursday-Friday from 9.15 am-4.30 pm. The days and times will depend upon the units you choose to study.
|Bedford College|| |
|Apply now|| |
|Tresham College Kettering Campus|| |
|Apply now|| |
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.