OverviewAgriculture Foundation Degree (FdSc) (Part time)
This course will provide you with high-quality, advanced skills and knowledge in sustainable crop, livestock and land management. You will gain practical skills on our college farm combined with advanced scientific, technical and business enterprise skills which are key components of the course. You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable industry experience through the completion of an extended work experience. Our unique course in Agriculture offers a combination of practical, scientific, technical and business principles learning to underpin a career in the agricultural sector. By applying such principles in a vocational context and understanding the appropriate methods of enquiry for this subject area you will gain a thorough understanding of the field and will enhance your employability skills.
The aim of this Foundation Degree in Agriculture is to provide you with a vocationally relevant Higher Education qualification, the content of which reflects the knowledge, skills and competencies expected by the agricultural industry.
Specifically, these include:
- the management of a range of crop science and production systems, specifically in relation to growth, protection, nutrition and soil management.
- the knowledge and application of science and technology for optimum crop production, harvesting and transportation.
- the knowledge and application of animal science and livestock production systems, specifically in relation to livestock husbandry, nutrition, health and welfare.
- a knowledge and understanding of future demands for improved sustainability in the agricultural sector and the use of agricultural technologies and biosciences to achieve improved efficiency and production.
- the investigation and understanding of sustainable management practices facilitating the optimal and innovate use of land based resources technology.
- the applied business and management skills and knowledge necessary to effectively manage within the agricultural sector.
The course provides a good quality, broad-based training in the principles and practices of agriculture and land management. This degree is based around a framework of sustainable agriculture and land management activities, ensuring that graduates have a firm understanding of bio-sciences, business management, agri-technology, research and marketing. This will enable you to progress into a wide range of careers in particular but not exclusive to the agricultural sector.
The units which make up the course include:
Year 1 (Level 4)
- Business Development in Agriculture and Land Management
- Scientific Methods for Agricultural Management
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Livestock Husbandry, Health and Welfare
Year 2 (Level 5)
- Sustainable Land Management
- Business Enterprise in the Agricultural Sector
- Agricultural Science and Biotechnology
- Investigating Sustainable Agriculture
Trips over the two years of the course will include a range of arable and livestock facilities. Food production organisations and diverse business enterprises. There will be study tours in the UK and Europe to investigate wider agricultural practice. Students will have the opportunity to take additional qualifications in first aid, the safe use of pesticides and forklift handling. There may be additional registration fees required for learners wanting to undertake additional qualifications.
You will need:
- 32-48 UCAS points including a science OR
- Agriculture Advanced (Level 3), Countryside Advanced (Level 3), Fish Management Advanced (Level 3), Horticulture Advanced (Level 3) Animal Management Advanced (Level 3), Modern Advanced Apprenticeship, Vocational A-Level or Access to HE qualification with good references OR
- An equivalent Level 3 qualification
- Applicants should hold a GCSE in English, maths & science at Grade C/4 or above.
We also welcome applications from mature students who will be considered individually on experience rather than qualifications.
The majority of assessments will be conducted through reports and presentations. Practical assessment of competency will be undertaken in three of the units throughout the two years. There will be final exams set in the first and second year for four of the units.
Progression for successful learners will lead to study at the University of Bedfordshire for a final year to gain a Bachelor of Science Degree. The qualification will provide learners with access into employment in the industry or further progression to other Higher Education institutes.
Study tours are not compulsory and it is expected that additional costs for study tours will equate to around £900. Learners must buy and wear correct PPE for practical skills activities. A full list of equipment is available on request. The cost of additional safety equipment should not exceed £90.
If commuting to Shuttleworth College will be difficult for you, then you can choose to live in our halls of residence on campus. Priority is given to those who live the furthest distance from the College so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment. Visit our accommodation page for more information. Visit our accommodation page for more information click here.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome Support
We are committed to developing the provision for students on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger’s Syndrome.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.