OverviewAgriculture Foundation Degree (FdSc) (Full-time)
This course will provide you with high-quality, advanced skills and knowledge in sustainable crop, livestock and land management. You will gain practical skills on our college farm combined with advanced scientific, technical and business enterprise skills which are key components of the course.
You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable industry experience through the completion of an extended work experience. Our unique course in Agriculture offers a combination of practical, scientific, technical and business principles learning to underpin a career in the agricultural sector. By applying such principles in a vocational context and understanding the appropriate methods of enquiry for this subject area you will gain a thorough understanding of the field and will enhance your employability skills.
On completion of this course the learner can continue onto the BSc Top-up year and be awarded with a full degree. The Foundation Degree itself is well respected in the agricultural industry and it could lead to employment in a wide range of roles.
Need to know
Essential: 32-48 UCAS points
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma – PPP – D*D*D*
Equivalent Level 3 qualification – including A-Levels
Applicants must have a GCSE in English and maths at 4 or above.
What qualification will I gain?
You will gain:
Foundation degree in Agriculture.
How will I be assessed?
The predominant method of assessment is written assignments, with some units having end of year exams attached to them.
What will I study?
The aim of this Foundation Degree in Agriculture is to provide you with a vocationally relevant Higher Education qualification, the content of which reflects the knowledge, skills and competencies expected by the agricultural industry.
Specifically, these include:
- the management of a range of crop science and production systems, specifically in relation to growth, protection, nutrition and soil management.
- the knowledge and application of science and technology for optimum crop production, harvesting and transportation.
- the knowledge and application of animal science and livestock production systems, specifically in relation to livestock husbandry, nutrition, health and welfare.
- a knowledge and understanding of future demands for improved sustainability in the agricultural sector and the use of agricultural technologies and biosciences to achieve improved efficiency and production.
- the investigation and understanding of sustainable management practices facilitating the optimal and innovate use of land based resources technology.
- the applied business and management skills and knowledge necessary to effectively manage within the agricultural sector.
The course provides a good quality, broad-based training in the principles and practices of agriculture and land management. This degree is based around a framework of sustainable agriculture and land management activities, ensuring that graduates have a firm understanding of bio-sciences, business management, agri-technology, research and marketing. This will enable you to progress into a wide range of careers in particular but not exclusive to the agricultural sector.
The units which make up the course include:
Level 4 – 1st year
- Scientific Methods in Agriculture
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Business Development in Agriculture and Land Management
- Sustainable Crop Production
Level 5 – 2nd year
- Agricultural Science Biotechnology
- Sustainable Land Management
- Business Enterprise in the Agricultural Sector
- Investigating Sustainable Agriculture
BSc (Hons) Agriculture (Top-up) based at Shuttleworth
Farm worker (livestock and crop), agricultural research.
Steel toe capped boots and overalls for the practical sessions.
If commuting to Shuttleworth College will be difficult for you, then you can choose to live in our halls of residence on campus. Priority is given to those who live the furthest distance from the College so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment.
Visit our accommodation page for more information. click here.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, or contact email@example.com.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information on the Website is correct, some details may be subject to change. The Bedford College Group reserves the right to make amendments to the courses, dates, fees or other details, and to make cancellations or changes if numbers are insufficient. In the unfortunate situation that we have to cancel a course we will refund your fees in full, but we regret we are not able to offer any refund if you withdraw from your course or fail to start, and you will be liable to pay any outstanding fees that may be due.
You could be eligible to take out a loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Click on the link below to find out more about the financial support available for our Higher Education courses.Find out more
If you decide to pay for your course yourself, we also offer an affordable Direct Debit instalments option to help spread the cost of tuition fees (terms apply).
Additional Learning Support
If you have a specific learning difficulty or disability, are deaf or hearing impaired, our Additional Learning Support team are on hand to give you assistance whenever you need it.
If you would like to find out more about this or other courses, please use our Livechat below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0345 658 8990.
We have access arrangements in place to help students with disabilities or any other particular needs. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 for more information.
Course information sheets are also available in large print and audio formats. Call us on 01234 291000 or 01536 413123 to order your copy.